Enchanting Advent Trumpets

Church of St. Anne

The first church in the Annagasse was consecrated in 1518 and later taken over by the Jesuits in 1573. In the 17th century a tower was added and the church was refurbished in Baroque style. In 1747 the tower and roof were completely destroyed by fire after the church was struck by lightening. Following a complete renovation, the famous Baroque painter Daniel Gran ("Le Grand") created the magnificent ceiling frescoes. Since 1897 pastoral care at the Annakirche has been provided by the oblates of St. Francis de Sales.

In its interior the Annakirche is a single-nave hall church with a barrel vault, a recessed choir and three chapels on each side. The first one on the left, the Francis Xavier chapel is somewhat larger in size. It is thought that this chapel is the St. Anna Chapel dating back to the year 1320 which originally belonged to a medieval pilgrims’ hostel.


Annagasse 3b,
1010 Wien

Your Order
No tickets ordered.
Quick Search